Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Beginning

In June, a movie was filmed in and around Oklahoma including Oklahoma City where I live. I decided to audition for a spot as an extra. I had obtained a copy of the script from a friend and decided to go dressed for the part. The movie, "The Killer Inside Me", took place in 1952 in a small West Texas town. So I dressed as a cowboy from that era or at least what I took to be that era. When I worked my way through the long audition line, I was asked to remove my cowboy hat. Oh Lord, now I had hat hair. Yep - a large line all around my head where the hair had been pushed down by my hat. I knew I was lost. And sure enough I did not get the part. Had to be the hair.

I would have liked to have been in that movie with Casey Affleck, Kate Hudson, Jessica Alba, Ned Beatty, Simon Baker, and Bill Pullman. But, no such luck. I did see later that they needed someone to stand in for Bill Pullman. My hair and coloring would probably have worked but my 5'8" height was a little short for his 6'3". So, again shot down. I have recently read that this movie will be in the Sundance Film Festival in January 2010.

However, the experience intrigued me enough to check into acting. I thought that if they will not take me for a non-speaking part perhaps if I learned to act they may pick me for a speaking part. And, now six weeks later after my first acting lesson I am getting close to graduating.

What I go through to obtain some kind of part is what this blog will address. I will need to get an agent, go to auditions, learn lines, learn mannerisms, head shots, and anything else that might earn me a part.

So come along and let's see what happens.

3 comments:

  1. You are one HOT guy - I'll not only follow your blog, I'll follow you anywhere! Looking forward to your progress. Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for you Jerry! I think it is wonderful that you are still dreaming! I dream, too, but in a different way. I dream of restoring our historic theatre in Harper, KS despite the years of targeting by rotten apples who want to destory our town. Our Prairie Connection monthly grassroots newspaper is a supporter of the arts as our nonprofit mission statement is "preserving the history, art & culture of the prairies for future genertions." I'd love to post your blog address in the Dec. issue with your permission?? Can't promise any followers, but you never know! You can also check us out on many YouTubes but the best was a site done by a profssional reporter recently: 50in52journey.com Click on Rosalea Hostetler in Kansas. We've been close to a reality tv show, too...so you never know! Our goal is to save our town and it's rare history. Oklahoma is so far advanced over Kansas, I am sad to say! So keep up the Dream!
    Maybe we can restore our theatre for "older folks who still dream?" It's a thought! Me? Heck, I am a mere 73! My faovrite t-shirt says "Rosalea Ain't Dead Yet!" contact me: wepreserve@balmerfund.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry, given I am a novice at "blogging" this all appears FIRST CLASS! Best of all, think of the inspiration it gives to the millions of Baby Boomers who just might still believe that "they can" follow their dreams. Keep up your wonderful sense of humor, let Joy and Robin continue to edit and input and just think...if YOU can do it...maybe, just maybe...the REST of us can!! Go for it! You are always a winner to us.
    Fondly,
    Friends Beth and Jim

    ReplyDelete