Friday, November 20, 2009

Head Shots

In order to go anywhere in this business, you need to have a head shot. Did I want to appear cocky? Sexy? Mean? This photograph is likely the only chance you have to attract a director of a movie or a television show. Needs to be an attention grabber. From what I understand, these directors go through these head shots with one of those rubberized thumbs and toss them immediately if the photo is not what they are casting. After all, you can only make one first impression. So, if I want to be an actor, I have to go through that exercise and make a photo that will give a great first impression.

That happened this week. I went to a seminar Tuesday evening, at the Actor Factory in Norman, that was given by the photographer who was to take my picture. I learned what to wear or more specifically what to bring to the photo shoot. “Wear clothes that bring out your eyes.” That is most important. Pathetically, I am a Ken doll. I really mean it. For years, Joy has laid out my clothes. She tells me I have no sense of color. Yeah, and that from a lady who makes her living by painting red, orange and pink together on canvas. When I was actually making a living by working in a legitimate profession (car selling), she had my suits hanging all in order in my closet according to the day of the week with a shirt and tie combined. Or, maybe a sport coat with slacks, tie, and shirt. I did get to pick out my wild suspenders (I was into those at that time), and underwear. I like bright colored boxers. Oops!! Too much information.

We (she) chose the clothes I was to take for the shoot. And, the photographer liked what she picked. The photographer, Jeff Nicholson, has photographed some of the biggest names in the movie and television industry. Lucky for HIM, he is getting ready to photograph a new and rising star. He has shot Jay Mohr, Cameron Diaz, Monika Lewinsky, (I may have to become a Democrat), Matt LeBlanc, Anne Heche and many others.

I arrive early as it has been ingrained in me that you always need to be on time. “Do not make the director wait.” Since Jeff was my director, I was there in plenty of time. I knew that there was to be a make up artist, but I was under the impression that was girl stuff. Was I ever wrong!! The first thing that happened was that I was seated in one of those tall director’s chairs and Donna Fowler, the really talented make-up artist, began working on me. I don’t do makeup. There actually have been the unusual times though. Such as this last Halloween, when (my Ken doll persona now appears) my wife makes me up as “Octomom.” Large red lips, eyeliner, long black stringy hair, big belly, and a sling with eight babies.

Donna went after me with all sorts of brushes with which she paints my face. It wasn’t until I saw my finished pictures I realized I was wearing lipstick. Then she took these gigantic scissors and starts on my face like she is a gardener pruning a beautiful plant. She cut hair in places I did not even know I had. Nose (inside and out), ears, eyebrows, and she even cut the two hairs on my chest I had been growing for 68 years. I said a small eulogy over them, not able to take them home for a proper burial. But, she quit after that. Thank goodness. I thought she was going after my armpits and perhaps lower to other hair I possess.

I then took my place before the camera. As it turned out, Jeff shot 252 pictures of me. My childhood scrapbook is leaner than that. I have seen things like this on television where the photographer is always snapping and says move here, do this, turn your head and so forth. Well, that is what I was experiencing. I simpered, smiled, scowled, for almost two hours, having changed clothes several times. Casual, dressy, western, and not only did I have to change clothes, I ran the gamut of expressions. With a suit I am either a nice businessman or a slimy attorney. With western, a good cowboy or a black-hat type of guy.

Overall it was a great fun and Jeff made it that way. He will now help me find the right one or two shots that will end up being my head shot to take to an agent. That is the next step: to convince an agent that I am someone they want for a product. He even suggested I put some shots on this blog and let my followers (both of you) vote on which one to use.

Stay tuned more coming.

2 comments:

  1. I very distinctly remember a time we allowed you to dress yourself on a Christmas morning and you popped into the kitchen wearing khaki green linen pants, a forest green sweater, a lime green polo shirt underneath and sandals. I think the Ken doll is justified...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh!! It was Christmas. You're supposed to wear green.

    ReplyDelete