Thursday, July 1, 2010

FAMKE JANSSEN

--

Now why would I start out a blog with the name of a beautiful famous Dutch actress? Because I met her and give her an audition – Is that reason enough for you? That’s why.

My current acting coach, Michelle De Long of Actors Casting and Talent Service, told our class several weeks ago that a movie would be filmed in Oklahoma City. She was to be the casting director and she specifically had a part in mind for which she wanted me to audition – that of a car salesman. Man – talk about typecasting! I could play that part without even having a script.

I did not hear anymore about it until Thursday evening when I reported to class and Michelle asked me if I had received any sides. I did not know what she was talking about. She told me it was for the movie she had mentioned two weeks prior. She told me the auditions were scheduled for 5:00pm the next day and that after class she would give me the sides. I was a confusion of excitement and anxiety at the same time. Excitement about the audition and anxious that I had to memorize something that fast. Once class was over, she gave each of us in the class a part that she thought would fit us. Scripts were distributed for detectives, nurses, car salesman, driver, teachers, and others. She gave me the sides for two parts. A car salesman and driver. Going through the various parts with all of us and I found out the salesman is in a small town selling Lincolns. Enthusiastically, the class planned wardrobe for each part. One lady in the class, Yazzie Barve, suggested I wear a short sleeve shirt and tie. Sounded perfect, even I know that signaled “ugh”

The movie “Bringing up Bobby” is written and directed by Famke Janssen and stars Bill Pullman (The Killer Inside Me – also filmed in Oklahoma City), Marcia Cross (Desperate Housewives), and Milla Jovovich (The Fifth Element). Ms Janssen has assembled an all-star cast and they will be in Oklahoma City filming during the month of July. My car salesman interacts with Milla Jovovich and the boy that plays her son. Have you seen that woman? She is beautiful.

I got home that night on a high note and told my wife about it and can hardly get to sleep knowing that I have a lot of learning by the next afternoon. Tossing and turning with scripts in my head, up early I went to my office and spent the day learning the two parts. What I find amazing is that even though I knew the part cold, when I went home to have my wife go through the lines with me, I could not get them down pat with her. In the course I am currently taking, I find that I don’t always remember the scene 100% when giving it in class even though when I walked into the class, I knew the lines cold. Michelle tells me the camera sucks your brain dry. So that’s it – brain rot – that’s my story and I am sticking to it.

My wife’s sister, Francie Ishmael, was visiting from Seattle and she and Joy helped me work through the lines. Francie took the part of the boy, Bobby, and Joy took the Milla Jovovich part. After going through it a number of times, I finally got it down. I am going to have Joy help me from now on. It is different when you say your lines into a recorder versus when you play the part with someone else. I use a recorder to say the other person’s lines and then leave a blank space when my lines appear. The recorder and I get along fine. It is when I add a live person that I get messed up, those live people are unpredictable. So hopefully, I will be able to do better in my acting class now that I have discovered something to help me.




Feeling confident, I went off to the audition dressed in my dorky outfit and a pair of sunglasses. I mean, what self respecting car salesman does not have a pair of sunglasses! When I entered the audition room, Michelle introduced me to Famke Janssen, her assistant, and her dog, Licorice. Ms. Janssen is very active as a PETA advocate and Licorice has been in some campaigns with her. You have seen Famke Janssen in the James Bond film “Goldeneye”, all the “X-Men” movies, “Taken” and many others. I brilliantly gave my audition and then changed clothes to do the driver role which I had also practiced with Joy and Francie. When I finished, they both told me I had done a good job, but I suspect they say that to everyone to be nice. But, I did feel good about my performance even though I might have sucked.

I called Joy on the way home and asked her to have me a scotch and water when I arrived and she kept asking me how it went. I said to her, “Joy, I am pretty close and you are wasting time in fixing my drink. I will tell you when I get home”. Us actors start to affect an attitude.

All in all it was a great experience. Chris Friehofer, one of my first acting instructors, told us to be glad you get called in for the audition. Even though you might have nailed it, the director may feel that you are not right for the part. And, that is the way I felt. Grateful to have the chance. I may not get the part, but the event was so exciting. To get to audition in front of a major movie star was exhilarating and I think she wants me.

One of my acting friends, Laurie Cummings, said it best when talking to her about our audition. “Look how far we've come in a few short months as totally novice actors. Just the chance to audition for a SAG movie of this level is very cool and rewarding. Shows drive and determination on our part.... As well as a young at heart attitude about life. Most older people I know could never even IMAGINE trying something like this. It takes guts... and lots of it!!

Stay tuned to see if I got the part.

5 comments:

  1. Talk about type casting...surely you nailed the part! I'd buy a car from you anyday/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Jerry! I hear the detective role will go to one of three ethnic actresses they brought in, do I didn't get to audition in the end. I knew when Michelle sent me the sides, that was very probable, but I am rooting for you and all the other Magnateers!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most car sales people are honest hard working men and women who are trying to support thier family,s they work 1 plus hours a day only to listen people like you who don,t want anyone of them to make a dime on you, its a tahnkless job and like most other industries thier are a few bad apple,s but no more then real estate or stock broker,s so give sleezy /dorky car salesman thing a break, you sure coulda fooled me if you owned any franchises no wonder you don,t own them anymore ! A Group of Seattle Car Sales People !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the typo,s were caused from just plain anger but you people out there get the jist! I hope he never gets a part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Angry Anonymous person - CHILL OUT. Nothing bad was said about car salesmen. It is a movie, movies exaggerate things all the time. Get over it.

    ReplyDelete