Saturday, January 28, 2012

STUDENT FILMS – The good, the bad, and the ugly

Do you often wonder how film makers get started? Where do the creators get the ideas, equipment, actors, and costumes? Most likely they start out as film students.

Student films are created by students who have enrolled in film studies curriculum at major universities. Oklahoma City and Norman have three schools that teach this. The University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City Community College and Oklahoma City University all have this specialty. I have worked with students from each of these universities. As a beginning actor, you take these roles to help you gain experience in seeing how a film comes together. If a scene is good enough, then a beginning actor can add it to a reel that can be shown to agents.

I just finished one a few weeks ago that was filmed at OU, "Bananafish" by Ezra Gentle, a student in film studies. He wrote and directed this film. An age-old theme of boy meets girl, but told in an eight/ten minute-time span. Each page of script traditionally is a minute of finished film time. The script for this movie is 10 pages long and normally that means that movie will last about 10 minutes. So, if you’re a mathematical wizard as I am, you can figure that a major film that lasts two hours had approximately 120 pages of script.

Some of the people on this latest project were acquaintances from acting classes. Rett Terrell, a tall good looking guy whom I have the pleasure of working with in acting class was the young man. Lauren Analla, a very pretty freshman at OCU, was the young lady. My meaty role was that of an interviewer who was considering hiring the young man.

Further on in the movie, I first encounter “David” as I am leaving a stall in a men’s room at the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication located on the University of Oklahoma campus. Careless while washing his hands, David has splashed water on the front of his pants. As a developing plot, this happens just before the interview. His awkward position while trying to dry the crotch area of his pants, with an on-the-wall hand dryer, had him looking like something out of the game “Twister”. The wet pants guy looks startled as I leave the stall and I am amused and befuddled at his dilemma. Wanting to leave quickly, I start to wash my hands, but instead just rush out the door. Imagine my discomfort when I discover he is one of the guys I’m to interview.

Leaving the interview table in the conference room, I enter the lobby and address the applicants. I call out a name, “Mr. Salingur”. Restroom guy comes forward. Oops! I initiate a handshake – and he’s conflicted and reluctant to shake my hand which he knows hasn’t met soap and water since the bathroom incident. He follows me into the conference room where he is to be interviewed. On either side of me are Mike Waugh and Kurt Harris who do the interview. Also at the table is “Claire”, the girl he (David) had just met that morning (remember the boy meets girl theme). He pays more attention to her than he does to the interview process. He asks a question that causes us to pause. I form a huddle with my co-interviewers. I detail what happened and graphically point to my pants to let them know of the water on the front of his trousers. We tell him he is not right for the job. The plot and the way it plays out should be really cute.

Very professionally, we received a call sheet. This is the first student film that I have ever seen a call sheet. I understand the need for a call sheet as it makes a lot of sense. It chronicles what scene we will be filming at what time and where. It also shows what actors and crew are expected. The crew’s time is normally earlier than the actors. But, it is a very efficient way to run a movie shoot and I am surprised that I had not seen one before. I was favorably impressed with the attention and expertise of Ezra and associate producer Britni Harris. To my glee, I finally was in a film with older actors. Not near as old as me though. Mike Waugh I had worked with in a St. Anthony Hospital spot and Kurt Harris was Britni Harris’ father. She corralled him into doing the movie since he was bringing some items from their home in Tulsa to her after the Christmas break. Others involved were Ragan Butler, another producer and Jeremy Clardy was the 1st AD (assistant director). I had met Jeremy on an earlier student film in December filmed at an art gallery in Norman. Michelle DeLong, an OKC casting agent, helped with the casting and pre-production. Not having asked others for permission, I’m reluctant to put their names in this blog. They were all very proficient during our three-day shoot in Norman – can’t wait to see it.

The movie I filmed at the art gallery was written and directed by a film student at OCCC, but was more discombobulated. That’s a big word drawn from my vast vocabulary. We had to wait three hours for the “star”, an OCU student, to deign to appear (Guess he thought he was a big deal). Then because of his lateness we barely had time to shoot the scenes there before the gallery had to close at 11:00pm. Helpfully, the gallery personnel stayed open for another hour. That is, after I made a donation to the gallery. The next scheduled shooting day was put off several days which was a little annoying. The self-proclaimed star was just not being considerate of others. I asked their names for this blog and no one seemed eager to have the situation in print. I can understand. The student was required to have this film completed and delivered to his professor by December 12. I have not heard a word since then even though I messaged him through Facebook. So it goes without saying that I have not seen it. In fact, of the five student films in which I have been an actor I have only seen one. That’s on the down side of the law of averages. Editing a movie takes awhile to complete so understandably I have not seen two of the films.

Part of the film students education needs to be a realization that everyone is putting himself/herself out to support and help film students – no pay and not much glory unless you get a good reel item from it. We actors and crew love to help a student – but deserve respect of our time. Life will happen and lessons will be learned. Guess that is show biz!! I will be interested to see how they do in real life. I think film professors should create a critique sheet for those of us who volunteer to complete when our part is finished. They would probably learn a lot about their students.

I am are pleased to announce that the film "Sucker" won a Golden Drover award at the Traildance Film Festival for "Best Contest Film" in Duncan, OK this past weekend. Go SUCKER!! A film I am very proud to have been involved with was put together by Ben Hlavaty and a talented group of young people. Some of them from OCCC. A movie produced in just 48 hours. This was not a student film. Congtratulations to Ben and all the people involved. A marvelous group of congenial people.

EXCUSE ME FOR ENDING THIS BLOG; I’M OFF TO SOAP UP MY HANDS IN THE RESTROOM SINK.




Check out my wife, Joy's web page
joyrichardsonart.com
and
my daughter Robin's blog
http://thep3.com/author/paisleyspinstripesandplaids/

1 comment:

  1. I have found a good film for younger generation, especially for students. The hard path of applying for the uni is described:
    Students' Movie

    ReplyDelete